[fedora-virt] windows 7 ACPI issue

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Mon Dec 21 21:03:23 UTC 2009

I attempted to upgrade one of my XP virtual machines images to win 7 and got the following error:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on an ACPI-compliant computer.

Has else anybody seen this?

The only reference I found in google was that ACPI isn't available on 32 VMs.. So I reinstalled xp on an x86_VM and got the same error when attempting to upgrade to win 7.

Emmett