[fedora-virt] Running Gumstix Environment As A Virtual Machine?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 12:47:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 07:30:42PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Can the Gumstix computer-on-module environment be run as a virtual machine?
>
> http://www.gumstix.com/
>
> I am wondering if there is an easily installed VM for Gumstix that will
> allow me to avoid buying the hardware while still being able to emulate
> it's operation. In other words, I'm hoping to save some money by not
> getting the Gumstix hardware till I really need it.

I thought this was unlikely, but a bit of searching reveals that there
are people doing this, eg:

http://gumstix.ecs.soton.ac.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Qemu
http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Gumstix_emulation_for_QEMU
http://www.bitmux.org/qemu.html

Of course, because Gumstix is ARM-based you won't be able to use
acceleration (KVM).  Plain QEMU seems like it will work.  Libvirt
won't know about the non-standard QEMU parameters (like -pflash) so
it's best to just use the qemu-system-arm command directly.

For help you should go directly to the resources suggested above.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/