[fedora-virt] how to active XEN on Fedora 12

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 30 12:21:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 02:23:37PM +0100, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Thanks Boris, I use F12 on my Laptop and I want run some VM for test new
> version of distro.

KVM is generally better for laptops because of better power
management.  However ...

> Now I use qemu-kvm but each machine use 30/40% of CPU of host system.

Is KVM enabled?

  $ /sbin/lsmod | grep kvm
  kvm_intel              48184  6
  kvm                   163952  1 kvm_intel

You should see a kvm_* module.  Does your laptop support hardware
virtualization?  Recent hardware has much better support than the
first generation of hardware.  Is it enabled in the laptop BIOS?

> I want use XEN to see if it works better...
[...]
> then I'm looking for some thing to do after this....

Basically Fedora 12 doesn't support Xen as a host.  Too bad, but this
is because upstream Xen people didn't get their changes into the Linux
kernel yet.

Your options are to go back to something out of date and unsupported
(Fedora 8 IIRC was the last version of Fedora that could be used as a
Xen host).  Or use KVM -- see above.  Or use RHEL 5 or a derivative
where an older version of Xen is fully supported.

Rich.