[fedora-virt] QEMU new Package

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 16:28:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 02:23:12PM -0200, Glauber Costa wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 03:51:56PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > > I believe qemu-user suits better upstream name usage. Other than that,
> > > I think this proposal is sound.
> >
> > The reason I suggested qemu-linux is because I think QEMU's existing
> > naming sucks :-)
> >
> > i.e. system/softmmu == "emulate a full machine" and user == "emulate the
> > linux kernel ABI"
> >
> > system vs. linux makes it a little more sense, in my book.
> I agree with you 150e^7 %. Another example of naming suckiness on upstream is
> the fact that "qemu" stands for qemu-system-i386 on whichever platform you're on,
> even on a rotten potato.
>
> However, this is a reason for us to go upstream and suggest name changes. In the mean
> time, adopting a different name ourselves will just make matters more confusing.

No, we do *not* want to change the 'qemu' binary. Soo much stuff out
there knows & assumes 'qemu' is the i386 binary, and qemu-system-x86_64
is the x86_64 emulator.  If this were a brand new project, sure it'd
make sense to have 'qemu-system-i386', but at this stage we should not
be renaming binaries in wide use just for sake of naming prettiness.

> > > Also, there has been a proposal by ajax in #fedora-devel to have a "qemu-native"
> > > package, that would install native emu/virt for whatever architecture you're running at.
> > >
> > > What do you guys think of this?
> >
> > As long it's just a Provides as danpb suggests, I don't mind ...
> I believe this is a good suggestion because of kvm. Users using exclusively
> kvm will probably want to grab native emulation, whatever it is. And for the
> record, kvm ppc is completely merged in qemu.

Daniel