[fedora-virt] QEMU new Package

Glauber Costa glommer at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 16:33:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:08:01AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 15:17 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > > Also, there has been a proposal by ajax in #fedora-devel to have a "qemu-native"
> > > package, that would install native emu/virt for whatever architecture you're running at.
> > >
> > > What do you guys think of this?
> >
> > There's no need for a package for that. Just conditionally add
> >
> >   Provides: qemu-native
> >
> > to the appropriate qemu-system-XXX  sub-RPM according to the arch you're
> > building on.
>
> Actually my proposal was to have qemu-native and qemu-everything-else.
> On the basis that either you just want a vm and the native arch is good
> enough, or you want a particular arch and therefore clearly have disk to
> burn.
Not always having disk to burn is the case.
You can easily fit an embedded system in a couple of mb, so the disk image
for an arm system, for instance, is likely to require this couple of mb too.

Going further, qemu-user-xxx (which is probably a qemu handler to watch porn)
needs no extra disk at all, since you'll be just running normal binaries
with an emulation layer.

> But, I'm no domain expert here.  If the typical qemu user is something
> other than I've envisioned, then feel free to ignore me.

We feel totally free to ignore you, because the internet is a free country,
and we're free men ;-)

But your comments are always welcome.