[fedora-virt] QEMU new Package

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 11:15:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 09:08:07AM -0200, Glauber Costa wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:46:09AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:12:10PM -0200, Glauber Costa wrote:
> > > I haven't updated the name yet, but this is easy.
> > > Apart from that, the .rpm are useless, as they don't include the firmware
> > > images. (we don't want to ship the binary anyway, which was what current qemu
> > > were doing).
> >
> > This is going to be harder to address for QEMU than it was with KVM.
> > With KVM we only needed to build a native firmeware. For QEMU you
> > need to build a PPC firmware to go along with the x86 build of the
> > PPC emulator, etc. Not clear how we'd manage this very easily since
> > we don't have cross compilers for every QEMU arch.
> Ok, no cross compile, but we do have a pcc build sys, don't we?
>
> Because this is the way we do for the pxe roms. If we build on i386, we just build
> from sources. If we are in another arch, we pick a binary. The difference is
> that is's not the binary provided by qemu, but the very own we built for
> i386.

Ewww. I just looked at the etherboot.spec file - that's gross :-)

So every time you update the RPM build, you have to build twice. Once
to get the correct new i386/x86_64 build. And then change the tar.gz
with the prebuilt binaries, and build the RPM again, so that PPC gets
done correctly ?

So we can do x86 and ppc in Fedora with this trick. The sparc BIOS would
need us to build in the Sparc secondary arch, and then import it back in
to the main arch build system.

Daniel