[fedora-virt] running Vista under KVM

Wayne Feick waf at brunz.org
Tue Jan 27 06:32:51 UTC 2009

I've been trying to experiment with running Vista under KVM today, but
I'm running into a cryptic error message that doesn't mean much to me:

        Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> internal error QEMU quit during console startup

        Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 723, in do_install
            dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
          File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 732, in start_install
            return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
          File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 767, in _do_install
            self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
          File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 915, in createLinux
            if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed', conn=self)
        libvirtError: internal error QEMU quit during console startup

        '

Here is what I did.

I made sure libvirtd was running, launched Applications -> System Tools
-> Virtual Machine Manager and walked my way through the wizard screens
until I get to the "Ready to begin installation" screen.

        Summary

        Virtualization method: Fully virtualized
        Initial memory: 512 MB
        Maximum memory: 512 MB
        Virtual CPUs: 1

        Install media

        Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista
        Installation source: /home/waf/vista64.iso
        Kiskstart source:

        Storage

        Disk image: /var/lib/libvirt/images/Vista-1.img
        Disk size: 4000 MB

        Network

        Connection type: Virtual network
        Target: default
        MAC address: -

        Sound

        Enable Audio: True

When I select Finish, I get a popup window with the error message.

I have the right processor capabilities to virtualize. It's a Core 2
T7200 with the following flags:

        fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
        pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
        syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl
        pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

I can't seem to find a good KVM quick start guide on fedoraproject.org.

Wayne.