[fedora-virt] Problem moving machine from Xen to KVM

Jan ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Wed Jan 21 16:35:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 04:28:09PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Boot success happened with kernel (non-PAE) and after boot I was able to
> > uninstall kernel-PAE and reinstall it. After this change there are all
> > required modules installed and kernel-PAE boot with virtio drivers (disk
> > and net).
>
> Sorry, I'm a little confused - it's working okay for you now?

Yes, it's working well with PAE and non PAE kernel too.
But I don't know, what has been difference, why there was no virtio_pci
in my initrd.

> (Small tip for others, to check the contents of your initrd, do:
>
>   $> mkdir initrd-dump && cd initrd-dump
>   $> gzip -cd < /boot/initrd-foo.img | cpio -ivd
> )

An better way for those, who likes "mc" (midnight commander):

# ln -s /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img /tmp/initrd.cpio.gz

and normally open /tmp/initrd.cpio.gz in mc. :)

			SAL