[fedora-virt] best Fedora virtualization

Rich Mahn rich at lat.com
Wed Jul 1 14:25:37 UTC 2009

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 02:31:45PM -0400, Rich Mahn wrote:
> > RuntimeError: could not open display

> You need to make sure your $DISPLAY variable is passed when you become
> root.  Or just run virt-manager as normal user - it's designed to use
> PolicyKit to acquire the right permissions.

It's not DISPLAY that's the problem.  I don't know exactly what it is,
but when I changed back to gdm from kdm, the root type problems went
away.

> > 2.  virsh seems to work as root.  It lists the domains, anyhow.
> >
> > 3.  When I try to create a new domain sometimes it looks like it is
> >     working until it is actually supposed to start.  Then nothing
> >     seems to happen.  I don't know what processes to look for via
> >     'ps', but I suspect whatever started died almost immediately.
> >     NOTE: this is what happens if I don't specify any virtual disk
> >     storge.

> qemu prevents domains from starting without storage.

It seems to work fine with just a cd-image.

> > 4.  Creating exactly the same domain with virtual disk storage, when
> >     it tries to create the domain I get the popup error "Unable to compelte
> >     install:  internal error Domain <mydomainname> didn't show up."
> >     The detail of the error is this:

> Look at the log file (/var/log/libvirt/qemu IIRC).

VERY good advice.  From the log file I learned that the startup
problems I had were due to the cdr iso file being on nfs storage.
Once I copied it to the local disk it worked fine.  Changing the
virt_use_nfs, qemu_use_nfs didn't work because virt-manager tries
to set the security label, and that's not supported on this version
of nfs.

> > 5.  For the first case described in 3 above, the virt-manager shows the
> >     domain as running.  virsh also shows it as running.  However, if I
> >     try to terminate it, shut it down, or whatever (even restart later),
> >     I get this error:
> [more bugs elided]

> The libvirt which was in F11-Preview was really broken.  Upgrade to
> the new version in updates-testing and reboot to fix everything.

I am using whatever the current F11/x86_64 updates has.  I couldn't
find any libvirt in updates-testing.

> Rich.
great name!!!