[fedora-virt] F12 virt features - what will or won't make it in?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jul 15 10:03:29 UTC 2009

Hey,

Feature owners, please read through the list below for your feature and:

  a) reply with a brief status update if I got it wrong

  b) make sure the feature page is up to date with the latest status

  c) if there is a reasonable chance of your feature making Fedora 12,
     make sure the page is complete and in the ReadyForWrangler
     category. It needs to be reviewed by FESCo this week or next.

  d) if it looks like it won't make Fedora 12, move it to the F-13 virt
     features category

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 17:31 -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:
> Following on the heals of John Poelstra, I was taking a look at all the
> F12 Virt Features with the release notes in mind.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:F12_Virt_Features
>
> That's an impressive and ambitious list!
>
> Given the schedule:
>  2009-07-28 	 Feature Freeze--Planning & Development Ends
>  2009-08-18 	 Alpha Release
>
> Identifying what is likely to actually make it will hopefully allow the
> release notes to be more focused and useful. I clicked through each and
> quickly came up with the categorized list below.
>
> I made a very quick uninformed guess at what was unlikely to make F12,
> otherwise I listed a feature as pending whether it is ready for the
> feature wrangler or not.

Thanks for doing this, my take on them all below.

> If you know a feature is definitely not going to make it or if you think
> a feature is likely to make it out of pending status, please comment
> below or update the feature's targeted Fedora release.
>
> An evaluation of the percent complete or a bump to the last update date
> on the feature page might also be helpful.
>
> = Accepted =
> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtgPXE

Done.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtioSerial

Ambitious for F-12 - e.g. needs some yet unaccepted upstream kernel
patches to be backported.

> = Pending =
> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Hostinfo

A little ambitious for Fedora 12, although AFAIK Rich is working hard on
it. Also, once a first version has been cooked up, it should make it
into Fedora very quickly.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_Huge_Page_Backed_Memory

No real progress on this, and it's a long-standing issue. Most obviously
missing is any progress on the libvirt side. I can't see this making
Fedora 12.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_NIC_Hotplug

Should make Fedora 12. The qemu bits are upstream now, and I hope to
post the libvirt bits this week.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_qcow2_Performance

AFAICT, it's pretty much done upstream - so the feature page just needs
updating and moving into the ReadyForWrangler category.
> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/libguestfs -
> : Technically, made it into F11, but...

Yeah, it's done - it's just a matter of pimping it for Fedora 12.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SR-IOV

Done, just needs some testing details fleshed out.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VHostNet

Very ambitious for Fedora 12. Most obvious blocker is acceptance into
the upstream kernel before backporting. I don't expect this to make it.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtTCK

My understanding is that this should not be difficult to get finished,
but the feature page hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't seen
any progress.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtStorageManagement

Haven't been following too closely, but I think this is more or less
complete upstream. The feature page needs updating and moving to the
ReadyForWrangler category.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Xen_to_KVM_migration

Not sure on the status here. Rich and Mat are working hard on it, but
will it make F-12?

> = Unlikely? =
> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KSM

Pending upstream finalizing the userland API before backporting it to
the F-12 kernel. Not sure if there has been any progress on that in the
last couple of weeks. If that was resolved, the feature should be quite
straightforward to complete.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_Stable_Guest_ABI

Some of the needed pieces are upstream in qemu now - i.e. using machine
types for backwards compat. Still need a couple more changes to qemu
here and then for libvirt to use it. Possible, but not certain, for
Fedora 12.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_Stable_PCI_Addresses

I think a lot of the qemu side is now upstream. It's mainly a question
of whether Fedora 12 libvirt will be able to use it.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Shared_Network_Interface

I think this is largely done, but the feature page hasn't been updated
in a long time.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtAppliances

Haven't seen any progress on this, probably won't make it in time.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtAuthorization

Haven't seen any progress on this, probably won't make it in time.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtPrivileges

Dan has some of this done, it may be a case that we limit the feature's
scope for Fedora 12.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtVNCResourceTunnel

Dan has done some of the work here, but I've lost track of how likely it
is to be complete for Fedora 12.

> * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0

Moved to F-13. Status still depends on upstream acceptance of the kernel
patches, which is an ongoing saga.

Thanks,
Mark.