[fedora-virt] qemu question/clarification

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Thu Jul 16 18:22:08 UTC 2009

qemu documentation such as the man page for qemu-img says that only versions 3
and 4 for the vmdk files are supported.  What does this mean?

If I run "strings" on a vmdk (sparse file, single image), I get some text lines
which appear to describe the virtual disk.  One of these lines is:
   HWversion=n

If I create a VMware guest under Workstation 6.5.2 and specify Workstation 4
compatibility, I get HWversion=3.  If I specify Workstation 6.5.2
compatibility, then I get HWversion=7.  I assume that HWversion=4 will be true
for Workstation 5 compatibility but I have not tested that.

Is this what is meant by "versions 3 and 4" compatibility by qemu?

I have run qemu-img to convert various vmdk files and it does not complain
about non HWversion=3 or HWversion=4 files.  Furthermore, the converted files
seem OK when examined by guestfish.

Gene