[fedora-virt] febootstrap purpose status

Paul Lambert eb30750 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 07:17:38 UTC 2009

Can I get an explanation of the targeted users of this distro?  The
reason I ask is twofold. 1) I am looking for a bare metal OS to base
real time control on and 2) I believe that VMware has it right with
respects to hypervisor architecture.  Again,  a bare metal host with the
actual guest OS running the interface and application code.

My current configuration using Fedora 11 as the host and running WinXP
as a guest is what I term the "workstation" mode.  The host OS still
performs user interface and file storage functions for users.  This is
the same as using VMware workstation.  The full hyperviser mode would be
a minimum Fedora build that allows a command line only interface.  No
graphics libraries or other user intereface systems.  This is
essentially ESX.  I would create a Fedora 11 appliance and a WinXP
appliance and import these through command line instructions.  (Or
better yet, Fedora would release a distro that included installing the
bare metal version and the full Fedora appliance.)  The Fedora guest
then could connect back to the bare metal host to perform monitoring and
VM management function (oVirt).

I want this on my laptop.  Upgrading the host while it is also serving
as a workstation is too risky and a lot of work to perform OS testing
and evaluation.  It's too easy to copy out one's guest VMs and reload or
upgrade the host.  Then when this activity is complete just reinstall
the original host and VM appliances.  Backup and restore are much easier
as well.

The last I saw on the febootstrap size I believe it was just under 20
mb.  This still seams extremely large for a bare metal system.  I need
the Fedora filesystem with KVM and the hardware driver library.  How
small can we go?  I would like to try this.

Thanks for any feedback and direction
Paul