[fedora-virt] handling guest-service dependencies at boot time elegantly?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jun 11 19:38:30 UTC 2009

Hi, all,

Before I start hacking up my own poor solution, I'd like to run this by
the list and see if there's a good way to handle this.

I have a host (5.3 Xen Dom0) that has three guests:

  Fedora 10
  Fedora 11
  Nexenta 2

The Nexenta (opensolaris) guest's job is to provide storage services to
the Fedora DomU's, via iSCSI and NFS (ZFS storage).

My goal is to automate system startup.

My dependency tree looks like:

   Dom0 -> nexenta-DomU -> 'service iscsi'@Dom0 -> fedora-DomU's

Currently I have xendomains and iscsi set to 'chkconfig off' and the
fedora DomU's set for 'auto', and do:

  xm create nexenta
  [watch xentop to see when it's running]
  service iscsi start
  service xendomains start

Which works find and requires me to do it.  I can write some scripts to
do the same thing, but if there was a more general-purpose way to
express these kinds of boot-time dependencies, I'd rather do it right.

I was thinking perhaps upstart could be co-opted for this purpose, if I
can make it not cobbler init (it would have to run alongside on 5.3).
Are there any libvirt event hooks into upstart?

Thanks,
-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/