[fedora-virt] Is this normal?

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Sat Jun 13 16:13:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 13:20 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I can't believe virt-manager insists on placing image files
> under /var. They take lots of space. I'd expect to be able
> to pick a place to put the disk image.

If you'd prefer not to use /var you can create a new storage pool to
hold guest image volumes.

Right click on your host (localhost qemu) in the virt manager interface.
Select "Details". In the dialog which pops up select the "Storage" tab.
In the lower left corner there is a "+" sign for adding a storage pool.
Select a device or a directory like /home/you/Guests perhaps.

This process could probably be more obvious. The plus sign could be a
"Add Storage Pool" button instead for example.

See also:
* `virsh help | grep pool`
* http://www.libvirt.org/formatstorage.html

Also, if you are using selinux, be aware it expects images to live
in /var/lib/libvirt/images by default.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SVirt_Mandatory_Access_Control

> This fedora-virt mailing list doesn't have a pointer in the
> list of mailing lists on the fedora mailing list web page
> at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate

It does now. Thanks.