[fedora-virt] F12 feature: Host information

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Jun 16 18:21:02 UTC 2009

> It isn't that there is no network, it's that the guest and the host
> networks are strictly separated from each other, often physically.

Could you clarify that - you mean like PCI network card assignment?
Because the guest can't be safe from its host, from a security stance,
unless SELinux does more than I realize.

It would be straightforward to create an isolated monitoring bridge with
a private address space if one wanted to do SNMP between guests and
hosts.  (OK, to be fair, I haven't ever tried this with virtual interfaces).

Alton Brown is always asking at the kitchen gadget store, "OK, but what
else can it do?"  I'm not saying there's not a use for this
special-purpose device, but is it a one-off or the start of more
general-purpose infrastructure?

That armchair quarterbacking aside - the Wiki page says you have
customers asking for this.  Have they already ruled out an SNMP
approach?  Too complex, too heavy-weight, etc.?

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/