[fedora-virt] Fedora virtualization -- comments and questions

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Thu Jun 25 16:17:36 UTC 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009 10:39:37 Charles Duffy wrote:
> Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> > 1. Put all files (disk images, configuration, etc.) under a single
> > directory (easier to manage).
>
> With regard to the configuration being in a different area than the disk
> images --
>
> /etc/libvirt/qemu/** is _not_ intended to be directly edited by hand.
> Just as /etc/sudoers is supposed to be edited only by visudo, files
> under that directory should be edited with "virsh edit", "virsh
> net-edit", or other libvirt-aware mechanisms.
>
> So, as you-the-user aren't supposed to interact with them directly in
> any way... arguably it doesn't matter much where they happen to be stored.

See the reply I made to the other message.

Basically it comes does to this:

1.  I have multi-boot systems and NEVER screw with a working system ... I only
do fresh installs to a separate partition (the "old" system remains intact).

2.  Even if copying files from one system to another is not an issue, the
stoage space required for guest disk images can be large.  I currently have
about 100 GB of space used by VMware virtuals but that is in a separate
partition for my "/" partition.

Gene