[fedora-virt] [RFC/PATCH] libguestfs: build Debian based appliance

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Mon Jun 29 22:18:30 UTC 2009

Hi Rich,
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:11:05AM +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> Hi Rich,
> attached patches allows to build the appliance based on Debian (or any
> Debian based distribution supported by debirf) by using e.g.:
>
> ./configure --with-repo=squeeze --with-mirror=http://apt:9999/debian
>
> Please note that the third patch isn't to be applied yet, it simply
> overwrites the contents of make/update.sh.in with the stuff we need for
> Debian. Also when building a fixed (#509381) debirf is needed which has
> just been uploded to unstable.
Attched are three more patches to get things further:

The first once sets DIST=DEBIAN or DIST=REDHAT if using debootstrap or
febootstrap respectively. This allows us to set distro specific package
lists as discussed at Fudcon.

The second one checks for udev and uses that instead of doing everything
by hand. This significantly speeds up booting of the appliance since
each MAKEDEV call tages ages here and simplifies the code since we don't
need any device probing.

The third one explicitly sets the device type of attached disk to SCSI,
otherwise the tests end up as hda with my version of qemu. Since future
versions might pick virtio by default this is probaly safer anyway.

Can these be applied?
Cheers,
 -- Guido