[fedora-virt] best Fedora virtualization

Rich Mahn rich at lat.com
Tue Jun 30 18:31:45 UTC 2009

  I thought I had virt-manager running, but I see it doesn't
work correctly.  I think I am either missing a package or have
permissions or configuration parameters wrong.

   Here are some of the problems:

1.  I can run virt-manager (from the command line) from a regular account
    fine, but if I am root, I get this error when I try the same thing:

No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 371, in <module>
    _show_startup_error(str(run_e), "".join(traceback.format_exc()))
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py", line 52, in _show_startup_error
    import gtk
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 79, in <module>
    _init()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 67, in _init
    _gtk.init_check()
RuntimeError: could not open display

2.  virsh seems to work as root.  It lists the domains, anyhow.

3.  When I try to create a new domain sometimes it looks like it is
    working until it is actually supposed to start.  Then nothing
    seems to happen.  I don't know what processes to look for via
    'ps', but I suspect whatever started died almost immediately.
    NOTE: this is what happens if I don't specify any virtual disk
    storge.

4.  Creating exactly the same domain with virtual disk storage, when
    it tries to create the domain I get the popup error "Unable to compelte
    install:  internal error Domain <mydomainname> didn't show up."
    The detail of the error is this:

Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> internal error Domain test didn't show up

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1501, in do_install
    dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 541, in start_install
    return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 633, in _do_install
    self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 974, in createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed', conn=self)
libvirtError: internal error Domain test didn't show up

5.  For the first case described in 3 above, the virt-manager shows the
    domain as running.  virsh also shows it as running.  However, if I
    try to terminate it, shut it down, or whatever (even restart later),
    I get this error:

Error shutting down domain: invalid domain pointer in no domain with matching id -1

    and the details are:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 507, in shutdown_domain
    vm.shutdown()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 565, in shutdown
    self.vm.shutdown()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 472, in shutdown
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainShutdown() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: invalid domain pointer in no domain with matching id -1

6.  Looking at just qemu from the command line, I can run this as a normal user:

	    qemu -no-reboot -boot d -cdrom cdr.iso

    and it works as expected, bring up a window that is a the console
    associated with that virtual machine.  However, if I run the exact
    same command as root, I get these errors, and nothing is run:

No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Could not initialize SDL - exiting

As bad as this looks, I get the feeling it's just some permissions problem
or a configuration problem somewhere.  I'm guessing virt-manager tries to
do some things as root and ends up equivalent to the command line qemu
situation for root.