[fedora-virt] Installing kernel packages under libguestfs

Charles Duffy charles at dyfis.net
Wed Jun 3 23:43:07 UTC 2009

I've attached two patches to the bugzilla ticket,
[https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=346476] and
[https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=346475], which resolve
the issue for me.

Short story: initramfs can't be bind mounted. (I actually ran into this
several months back on one of my own projects, but failed to remember it
in this context until recently). As our /dev is on an initramfs
filesystem, the attempt to bind mount it into /sysroot/dev was failing.
Mounting a tmpfs filesystem on /dev before running MAKEDEV works around
the core issue.

Using --rbind rather than --bind for the bind mounts around --command is
a relatively minor enhancement, making any other mounts under /dev, /sys
and /proc (such as /dev/pts) visible to commands running in the guest.