[fedora-virt] Installing kernel packages under libguestfs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 07:41:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 06:43:07PM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> I've attached two patches to the bugzilla ticket,
> [https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=346476] and
> [https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=346475], which resolve
> the issue for me.
>
> Short story: initramfs can't be bind mounted. (I actually ran into this
> several months back on one of my own projects, but failed to remember it
> in this context until recently). As our /dev is on an initramfs
> filesystem, the attempt to bind mount it into /sysroot/dev was failing.

Ugh ... Thanks for working this one out.  I did some experiments
locally here but I couldn't replicate why just the directories were
being copied in the bind mount.  Now I know why.

> Mounting a tmpfs filesystem on /dev before running MAKEDEV works around
> the core issue.
>
> Using --rbind rather than --bind for the bind mounts around --command is
> a relatively minor enhancement, making any other mounts under /dev, /sys
> and /proc (such as /dev/pts) visible to commands running in the guest.

Yes, the patches both look good.  I'll apply them shortly.

Thanks again,

Rich.

Fedora now supports 75 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)