[fedora-virt] intel vt versus amd-v?

Don Dutile ddutile at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 21:09:55 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> On 06/05/2009 01:47 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:57:14AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>>    a friend wants to buy a server (probably dell) with HW virt support,
>>> and is wondering if there are any current clear advantages of intel
>>> over amd.  the only observation i had time to make was that, if one
>>> checks out entry-level servers from dell (ballpark $1000 cdn), the amd
>>> opteron systems appear to be somewhat less expensive than equivalent
>>> intel-based systems.
>>>
>>>    further thoughts?
>>>

>> The more recent Intel and AMD parts have extra virtualization features
>> which make virtualization more efficient -- primarily Intel Extended
>> Page Tables (EPT) and AMD Nested Page Tables (NPT).  So your friend
>> should look at the chips which support that, basically Intel Nehalem
>> and the quad-core AMD Opterons (previously known as Barcelona).
>>
>> If he wants to assign devices directly to guests, maybe look at Intel
>> VT-d
>> / AMD IOMMU.  Not used it myself.
>>
>> Rich.
>>

> What a shame...I don't have a Nehalem processor in my Dell Latitude
> E6400...I wonder if I can just buy the mobile version of a Nehalem chip
> and replace my P9500 with it...

If you have a Dell E6400, your laptop has Intel EPT & Intel VT-d
(as does the E6500).
Make sure virtualization is turned on in the bios
(I think there's two virtualization switches -- one for CPU virtualization,
and one for IO (vt-d/iommu) virtualization).

- Don (happy owner of E6500... and the above reasons why I choose it.)