[fedora-virt] Too much ram for F10

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Jun 6 12:45:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:59:19PM -0600, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> I already posted about this in the cobbler list and they sent me over here.
> It seems that whenever I try to install a new virtual machine(kvm) with
> koan, and the ram for the machine is higher than 2 gigs the machine fails to
> install.  The domain and hard drive image are created, but they won't start
> up to do the install.

I saw a bug like this go into Bugzilla this week, but for some reason
I just can't find it right now ...  Maybe someone else can find it?

> My guess was that the arch was being set to i686 in the libvirt xml file,
> and that that was causing issues, but the vms with 2 gigs of ram and
> arch="i686" in the libvirt config install just fine with a 64 bit version of
> Fedora.

I believe if you're using KVM that there is no difference if the arch
selected is i686 or x86-64.  KVM provides an x86-64 processor - if you
choose to install a i686 operating system in it, so be it.

You could try to give the guest some amount of memory which is just
under 2GB, eg.  1800KB.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v