[fedora-virt] libguestfs under Debian / Ubuntu

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 11:20:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:37:11PM +0200, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> I see the situation. This binary distro download may also create a licensing
> problem for our Pardus distro. I guess this leaves the following options:
> 1- package yum and febootstrap for Pardus and use them
> 2- create a "pabootstrap" package compatible with febootstrap and build a
> Pardus appliance instead of fedora appliance

Is Pardus rpm based, or in general what packaging format does it use?

> 3- create a pre-cooked "compatible" pardus appliance image and use this one
>
> For the last option, does it make any difference which distro is inside the
> appliance? Is there anything specific to Fedora? say, if we support all
> possible file system drivers as well as raid/lvm, would it still be needed
> to have Fedora inside? Is there a requirements documents for this appliance?

Dan is right - it doesn't make any difference what distro is used
inside the appliance.  The only requirement is that guestfsd is
running inside the appliance, and that guestfsd has access to all the
other programs it uses.  Common ones like sfdisk, lvm, mount, etc and
some not-so-common ones too - you can find a big list in the source
code, in 'appliance/make-initramfs.sh.in'.

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html