[fedora-virt] Is this normal?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jun 12 17:20:20 UTC 2009

I have my newly installed fedora 11 x86_64 system on an Intel
Core 2 Duo with virtualization hardware support, so I thought
I'd give KVM a whirl.

I started virt-manager as root, defined a new machine which
I made be an i686 and pointed at the Fedora 11 i386 DVD iso
image. I also told it to allocate space immediately for a 12GB
image file.

It has now been running anaconda's cylon eyeball format
progress bar for about an hour.

How long should it take to format the silly disk image?

Other points:

I can't believe virt-manager insists on placing image files
under /var. They take lots of space. I'd expect to be able
to pick a place to put the disk image.

This fedora-virt mailing list doesn't have a pointer in the
list of mailing lists on the fedora mailing list web page
at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate