[fedora-virt] F12 feature: Host information

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.org
Tue Jun 16 13:40:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> I posted this page on the wiki last week, which is a feature we intend
> to implement for Fedora 12:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Hostinfo
>
> Any comments?

Thanks for the heads up.

My only comment is that generally hosts are already some kind of monitoring
daemon (e.g. collectd) -- and this will mean they may have to end up running
another.

If there one tht RHEL customers tend to run? If so, perhaps a plugin to that
to extract the information would be simpler / less intrusive.

For the guest side, it sounds like you will be inventing a text based
protocol to ask for statistical information about the host -- I just wonder
if such a protocol already exists. And if there is already a client for
that, then the guest side would just be the channel hookup, rather than any
client dev.

Cheers,
Anand