[fedora-virt] 20% cpu usage spikes with idle centos 5.3 guest on F11

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:16:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Dennis J.<dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> When I run a centos 5.3 x86_64 guest on my F11 x86_64 system with kvm I see
> the qemu-kvm process cpu usage jump to ~20% every few seconds even though
> the guest is completely idle (I even disabled the HAL polling for /dev/hdc).
> Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this or how find the
> reason for this behavior?
>
> Regards,
>  Dennis

Interesting.  I also have an x86_64 CentOS 5.3 guest running under an
x86_64 F11 host.  But I don't see those spikes.  What I see is a
constant, apparently very steady 12% CPU usage when the guest is idle.
 I have not disabled /dev/hdc polling.

My guest has 1 GB of RAM and 2 virtual CPUs, if that matters.  I've
also messed with xorg.conf to increase the resolution slightly.
Otherwise, it is a vanilla virt-manager created VM.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/