[fedora-virt] virt-install (and virt-manager) unsupported virtualization type 'xen' with pv_ops dom0 on Fedora 10

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sat Mar 7 17:33:46 UTC 2009

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm using Fedora 10 on my Xen pv_ops testing box.
>
> I rebuilt Xen 3.3.1-9 packages from F11/rawhide for Fedora 10 and installed them.
>
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xen/3.3.1/9.fc11/src/xen-3.3.1-9.fc11.src.rpm
>
> xen-3.3.1-9.fc10.i386.rpm
> xen-debuginfo-3.3.1-9.fc10.i386.rpm
> xen-devel-3.3.1-9.fc10.i386.rpm
> xen-hypervisor-3.3.1-9.fc10.i386.rpm
> xen-libs-3.3.1-9.fc10.i386.rpm
> xen-runtime-3.3.1-9.fc10.i386.rpm
>
> I also built custom 2.6.29-rc7 pv_ops dom0 kernel, which seems to boot OK
> for me.
>
> xend starts OK, and I can run 'xm info', 'xm list' etc.
>
> But now I'm having problems using virt-install and/or virt-manager to
> install new domains.
>
> [root at dom0test ~]# virt-install -n vm01 -r 512 --vcpus=1 -f /dev/vg00/vm01 --vnc -p -l
> "ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/i386/os"
>
> ERROR    Unsupported virtualization type 'xen'
>
> Has Xen support been dropped from virt-install, or is this just some bug?

Xen support hasn't been dropped, we are probably just failing to detect
that xen is available.

First, can you try 'virsh --connect xen:///' and see if it succeeds? If
that works, you can manually pass the connection string to virt-install
in the interim (virt-install --connect xen:/// ...)

Can you also check if the following 3 locations exist:

/var/lib/xend
/dev/xen/evtchn
/proc/xen

That is what we check in virtinst to guess that xen is present, and we
should use its connection by default. If one of those is missing, any
recommendations on how to detect xen presence would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cole