[fedora-virt] [ANNOUNCE] New release virt-manager 0.7.0

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 16:45:56 UTC 2009

Jan ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   after rebuild for F10 works well, just root password is not required when
> started. I think this is a feature and I am happy, that I don't need always
> click to run without privileges, but there is one problem.
>
>   Starting an domain starts my serial console owned by root and is not
> accesssible from virt-manager (virt-viewer). After changing ownership it's
> immediatelly available. Is it possible to change this in time of virtual
> machine creation? (in libvirt or where?)

Yes, this is one of the drawbacks of not running virt-manager as root:
since the qemu:///system libvirt connection will launch your guests as
root, a regular user won't be able to access ptys.

I don't know of a proper solution to it all, other then running the app
as root or changing the the pty permissions as you did.

>   Another feature enhacement can be adding "Serial 0" tab automatically,
> when there is no Console available for guest. Message "Console not
> configured for guest" can be sometimes misinterpretated, because I can have
> serial console for my guest.

I see what you mean. The wording could certainly be better, and It would
make sense to try to connect to the serial console if no graphics device
is attached. Thanks for the idea.

I prefer to use serial consoles, because they
> do not need to install graphical environment on host. They have multiple
> advantages, like access from another machine using serial or ipmi console,
> viewing crash status, when host crashes, ...
>
>   And last possible enhancement: when pressing F10 key in guest's serial
> console, is it possible to avoid opening of "File menu" and send this key to
> serial 0, as it is done in VGA console?

We would probably need some sort of keygrab process like we do for VNC
to get this right. Not sure if that's even an option for the VTE widget
though.

Thanks,
Cole