[fedora-virt] ANNOUNCE: Rawhide virt repo for F11 users

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed May 20 13:07:23 UTC 2009

Hey,

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 13:45 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Are we carrying build dependencies in this repo too?

Not a whole lot of point right now; you can't build in koji against
packages in this repo.

> For libguestfs, it's likely we'd want a few non-virt packages in there
> too.  Probably these build deps:
>
>   febootstrap
>   fakeroot
>   fakechroot
>   zerofree
>
> + any new revs of augeas that turn up, eg. if David adds support for
> more augeas 'lenses'.

That's runtime, right? Sure, if it was needed for a new libguestfs
feature it would make sense to add.

> perl-Sys-Virt is a runtime dependency, but I'm assuming that Dan will
> be pushing new versions of that into fedora-virt repo.

Yeah; again the problem of not being able to build against newer
versions of libvirt, though.

> qemu is an important build + runtime dependency, but I assume that new
> versions of qemu will be pushed here.

Yes, we already have qemu-0.10.50/kvm-85 in there.

> How do you feel about taking packages like the ones above?

I think the way to look at it is - the repo should contain F-12 packages
with new virt features that don't belong in F-11 and, within reason,
packages needed to enable those new virt features.

By within reason, I mean that e.g. if this was an F-11 preview repo for
F-10 a few months ago, we would have had to think hard about whether we
wanted to include selinux-policy for sVirt testing. My instinct is that
we wouldn't include it because it would be likely to break non-virt
things on people.

Cheers,
Mark.