[fedora-virt] ANNOUNCE: Rawhide virt repo for F11 users

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 20 13:13:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 02:03:53PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 01:56:08PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 01:45:22PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > Are we carrying build dependencies in this repo too?
> > >
> > > For libguestfs, it's likely we'd want a few non-virt packages in there
> > > too.  Probably these build deps:
> > >
> > >   febootstrap
> > >   fakeroot
> > >   fakechroot
> > >   zerofree
> >
> > Aren't these all already in F11 ?
>
> They are - it's just that I won't rev them intensively for F-11 (just
> for Rawhide).  Unless we have them in virt-preview for F-11 in which
> case I can also rev them intensively there too :-)
>
> Maybe I'm a bit confused about what virt-preview is really for.

It is intended as a way for end users to test & experiance new features
from rawhide, without needing to use rawhide for their entire distro.
It isn't intended as an alternative to updates/updates-testing.

So if there is a new fakechroot release with new features in rawhide
that you need for libguestfs, then that's a candidate for virt-preview.

If it is just a few bug fixes in fakechroot, then that's a candidate
for normal stable updates repo.

Spefically 'virt-preview' shouldn't have any expectation of support.
You don't want to run your servers on virt-preview - its just as
raw as rawhide is, merely scope restricted to virt packages.

> I would normally say to people, just pull the updated packages and
> dependencies from Rawhide.  But there's a danger doing that, eg. if
> some fundamental soname in Rawhide gets bumped (like libcrypto), then
> they end up pulling in a huge number of Rawhide packages into their
> F-11.

Yes this is the intended use case - it lets people try out new virt
features from rawhide without having the rest of their entire OS
broken by non-virt features from rawhide.

Regards,
Daniel