[fedora-virt] Successful Compile of libguestfs 1.0.31 in Fedora 11

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue May 26 21:09:20 UTC 2009

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:56:03PM -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at the postings here more closely now that I have a
>> Ubuntu guest running, and I decided to compile libguestfs-1.0.31 in
>> Fedora 11. It took some time for me to get the dependencies installed.
>> Question: what packages do I need for the ruby bindings? What package
>> represents rake? How about OCaml bindings -- what packages are needed to
>> get it to build?
>>

> If you're just trying to get libguestfs to run on Fedora 11, then I
> strongly suggest starting off with the packages we are building for
> Fedora 11.
>
> You should be able to get them from updates, ie:
>
>    yum --enablerepo=updates install libguestfs guestfish ocaml-libguestfs-devel [etc...]
>
> and if that doesn't work, you can get them from Koji:
>
>    http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8391
>
> Select the latest package with '.fc11' in the name.
>

>> When building this file as part of  `make`:
>>
>> initramfs.fedora-11.x86_64.img
>>
>> I got an awesome number of errors related to my not being the root user,
>> but I assume those errors are okay since I built as an ordinary user.
>>

> You'll get a few errors.  Lots of these errors go away if you use the
> newest possible version of fakechroot (eg. 2.9-22).
>

>> Also the perl documentation process came up with a large number of
>> errors.
>>
>> After doing `make check` I got this result:
>>
>> Test boot completed after 10 iterations.
>> PASS: test-bootbootboot.sh
>> ==================
>> All 2 tests passed
>> ==================
>>

> That looks very good.
>

>> Am I ready for 'make install' -- is libguestfs built sufficiently well
>> for that? Although I would like to get the ruby and OCaml bindings to
>> build.
>>

> 'make install' ought to work.  We never use it because we build RPMs
> and install those.
>
> Rich.

Okay, thanks for pointing me to Koji. Can I set up a yum repo for it?
How do I code it?

Also, can I set up a repo for Fedora 12 updates in Fedora 11, using
Mark's suggested repo coding? Or has the location for Fedora 12 updates
changed to Koji? If I take in Fedora 12 versions, will I risk my virtual
machines dropping dead?

Thanks

Bob