[fedora-virt] libguestfs - no ext3 support building on CentOS 5

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 27 19:45:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 02:34:27PM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Note that if you enable the epel-testing repository you'll get
>> qemu-0.10.5 which works with libguestfs w/o any patches or special
>> builds/wrappers required.
>>
> Out of curiosity -- what do you need from qemu-0.10.5 (as opposed to
> qemu-kvm-0.10.4, or kvm-86)?

Several things -

In the qemu 0.10 series in general, we need the upstream vmchannel
support:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-02/msg01042.html

qemu 0.10.4 wouldn't even boot the libguestfs appliance.  For whatever
unknown reason it does appear that qemu 0.10.5 fixes this.  I don't
know what particular change fixes this.

Generally KVM works, again specific versions sometimes have problems.

Really the best thing to do is to run 'make check' [or for EPEL,
'make SUBDIRS= check'] and if that passes then the qemu/kvm version
is good.

Rich.

Fedora now supports 75 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)