[fedora-virt] libguestfs best practices: Exposing files from the host for the duration of a session

Michael Ansel redhat-lists at anselcomputers.com
Fri May 29 07:34:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> The original libguestfs plan was to use NFS for all file transfers.
> The reason why we don't intend to do this anymore is twofold: NFS
> requires root on the host side, and NFS requires either matching UIDs
> or complex UID-UID mappings.  If we were going to implement any
> protocol, it'd be FTP, because FTP clients are common, can be run
> non-root, and don't need complicated UID mappings.

Okay, I think I'm not completely understanding how libguestfs works,
so that is probably why I'm getting confused. *adds that to to-do
list*  I was looking at it figuring:
1) root (UID=0, everywhere) is the only one installing packages, so
the UID mapping lines up perfectly every time
2) you only need root access on the host once when you are building
the VM; you don't need NFS after it is already built

I have a feeling this will all become clear to me once I do some
research *self-chastisement for speaking before reading*, but for now
I need sleep, so that reading shall come tomorrow.

Also, on a side note: Is there a reason all of my replies are
automatically directed at individuals vs the list? (I keep having to
retype fedora-virt at redhat.com) Or is this another one of those things
where I didn't read something I was supposed to...

Thanks!

Michael