[fedora-virt] Network bridges in F12 beta

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Nov 9 20:36:16 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009 09:00:40 Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 09:25 -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> > On 11/04/2009 04:44 AM, Andrés García wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I think I read somewhere that with Fedora 12 there was going to be a
> > > way to configure
> > > virtual network bridges automagically.
> > >
> > > I have looked for it in virt-manager and network manager but it doesn't
> > > seem to be there,
> > > so I guess my memory is fooling me, right?
> >
> > Libvirt can configure bridges in f12, however it requires manually
> > crafting XML and has no GUI support yet, so it is probably easiest to
> > use the instructions you post below.
> >
> > - Cole
> >
> > > So, if I have to do it manually, do the instructions at:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Bridged_networking_.28aka_.22sh
> > >ared_physical_device.22.29
> > >
> > > still apply?
>
> It'd be really nice to have a version of those instructions that uses
> e.g. virsh iface-define

It sure would be nice if there was more documentation available about all of
the "stuff" that can be done with virsh ... the man page leaves a lot unsaid!

The implication that you could use "virsh iface-define" to setup a bridge
definition on a system sounds very powerful.  However, I thought that virsh was
something you used with virtual stuff ... not real hardware.

Setting up a bridge involves definitions for the host system ... not a virtual
guest.  Creating xml with a text editor is not something I would look forward
to just to do the bridge definition.

Now if you want to prod the NetworkManager folks to add bridge support sooner
rather than later, that is something else.

Gene