[fedora-virt] question on virt-install (and partly anaconda)

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 07:31:49 UTC 2009

Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run something like this, for un-attended automated guest installs.
> ===============================================================================================
> #!/bin/bash
>
> domname=yellow
>
> location=http://10.65.x.x/fedora/linux/releases/11/Fedora/x86_64/os/
> vmimage="/var/lib/libvirt/images/$domname.img"
>
> echo "Creating domain $domname"
>
> echo "Image is here  $vmimage"
> echo "Location of the OS sources $location"
>
> virt-install --connect=qemu:///system \
>     --network=bridge:br0 \
>     --extra-args="ks=http://10.65.y.y/fedora-minimal.ks console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600" \
>
>     --name $domname \
>     --file=$vmimage \
>     --file-size=8 \
>     --ram 1024 \
>     --accelerate \
>     --nonsparse \
>     --location=$location \
> ============================================================================================
>
> now here,
>
> -- once the install is finished and guest reboots, a console does /not/ show up. Because, as the
> "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600" args from the script are not picked by the anaconda of guest while booting.
>

> -- A console shows up only when I manually edit the guest machine's kernel args and append
> "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600" , /then/ boot the guest - now console shows up happily.
>
> My question is : shouldn't the anaconda of the guest machine pick up automatically
>
> "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600" in the --extra-args mentioned in the virt-install above?
>
> Is this the expected behaviour? or shall I file a bug.

Hm, interesting.  I think anaconda used to pick those up.  It sounds like a
problem in anaconda; I would file a bug about it.  For a workaround, you can
edit your kickstart with something like:

bootloader --location=mbr --append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600"

(this certainly works, I use it all the time)

--
Chris Lalancette