[fedora-virt] libvirtd crashes host when autostarting

Rich Mahn rich at lat.com
Fri Oct 9 13:45:36 UTC 2009

libvirtd.

This command sequence works fine:

service libvirtd stop
virsh autostart mydomain --disable
service lib virtd start
virsh start mydomain

This command sequence will crash the host:

service libvirtd stop
virsh autostart mydomain
service libvirtd start

I can't find any error messages related to this.  The host system
freezes, the keyboard starts blinking the caps-lock and scroll-lock,
and as best I can tell, the kernel has stopped running.

If I starting up the host system with the VM autostarted, I sometimes
get messages that look like kernel errors on the screen, but I don't
find them in any log files so far.  They seem to be related to networking.

Here's some configuration information--I don't know really what all is
needed, but this, I guess is a start:

Host and VM both Fedora 11 with the lastest updates.
Host machine in Intel based with the virtual support turned on.

In the /var/log/libvirtd/qemu directory, the command line to start
the virtual machine is different when started from autostart.  The
difference is in this portion:

	    -net tap,fd=11,vlan=0	for failure (autostart) and
	    -net tap,fd=18,vlan=0	for success

I am using a bridged connection.

Here's the command line that's used, split over
lines for some degree of readability:

LC_ALL=C PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -S -M pc
	-m 1024 -smp 1 -name mydomain
        -uuid 5cde5a23-2abe-fcdd-04dc-5ae3a46ab51c
	-monitor pty -pidfile /var/run/libvirt/qemu//mydomain.pid
	-boot c -drive file=,if=ide,media=cdrom,index=2
	-drive file=/dev/mapper/vg_host-lv_mydomain,if=virtio,index=0,boot=on
	-drive file=/dev/mapper/vg_host-lv_mydomain_data,if=virtio,index=1
	-net nic,macaddr=54:52:00:67:91:e9,vlan=0,model=virtio
	-net tap,fd=11,vlan=0 -serial pty -parallel none
	-usb -usbdevice tablet -vnc 127.0.0.1:0