[fedora-virt] Windows XP KVM can't shutdown?

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Tue Sep 8 18:03:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:59:45AM -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 18:53 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > I just installed a windows XP KVM virtual machine via
> > fedora 11's virt-manager. All went well, but the KVM
> > machine can't seem to shutdown, instead I get the
> > Windows XP screen that says "it is now safe to
> > power off".
> >
> > Is there some setting I need to tweak somewhere to enable
> > XP to power off by itself?
>
> You just need to turn on ACPI for your guest
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue184#Xen.2C_Windows.2C_and_ACPI
> http://www.libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsFeatures
>
> I don't think you can do that in virt-manager, so see 'virsh help edit'.

It's not enough. You must reinstall your windows XP. Windows XP can't
install ACPI as additional driver/software (described on some microsoft
pages).

But this looks to be virt-manager/virt-install bug. When you select Windows
XP, ACPI is turned off, then this does not work. Try to select Windows
Vista, when installing your virtual machine, then ACPI will be turned on
and poweroff works.

Can somebody fix this bug? I can't report it now. :(

		SAL