[fedora-virt] info on save function in virt-manager

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:16:08 UTC 2009

Is the save function in virt-manager for a vm equivalent to these steps:

1) pause vm (for example in virt-manager gui)
2) save disk image to file
3) run vm again
?
Is any mem state preserved in this save operation?

Can we think it as crash-consistent image ot the VM (aka equivalent of
rebooting a server after a hard shutdown)?
What exactly happens when you do a restore of a saved VM?

What could they be differences between a save operation and this one below:

- imagine VM disk is an LV
- pause VM
- do an lvm snapshot of the LVs that compose the VM
- exit VM from pause state (unchek inside virt-manager gui)
- backup the snapshot LVs

I think this latest is crash-consistent, correct?

Thanks for your comments.

Gianluca