[fedora-virt] ubuntu virtio and qcow2?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Sep 19 16:10:36 UTC 2009

I installed an ubuntu 9.10 KVM virtual machine using
virt-manager on fedora 11. It worked fine, then I tried
to convert the image file to qcow2 format and the
ubuntu system immediately started flaking out. First
not letting me login due to a fatal PAM error, then
kernel panicing because it killed init, just degenerating
very rapidly :-).

Switching back to the original raw file image made the
machine work fine again.

Is there a known problem here? Should I report a
bug somewhere (against what? ubuntu?, fedora?).