[fedora-virt] Windows XP BSOD on USB all-in-one device

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Sep 21 11:56:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 07:52:29AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Just for grins, I tried connecting my usb HP Photosmart C5580
> all-in-one scanner/print to my Windows XP KVM yesterday,
> and while the HP software was sorta able to recognize the
> device and get installed, every time I tried to actually
> do anything like scan or print, Windows XP would give
> a BSOD and then reboot beforfe I got a chance to see
> what the BSOD actually said. Is there a way to capture BSOD
> screens? (This was on a fully updated fedora 11).

Latest QEMU allows multiple concurrent VNC clients, so while you're
usig the guets via virt-manager, also run an instance of vnc2swf
to record the VNC stream to a SWF file you can then play back at
will.

> Is a complicated usb device like this even expected to
> work these days?

Yes & no - QEMU is getting better but its far from perfect in its host
USB device support - please do file a bug against QEMU since probably
the biggest problem we have is that there's no good record of which
devices work & which fail.

Daniel