Interim plan for fedora.redhat.com

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 13:16:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 13:52 -0800, Thomas Chung wrote:
> I just joined Fedora "web" group officially approved by Warren Togami. (Thank you again
> Warren.)

Welcome.  I'm glad to see participation from active community site
administrators.  We may not be able to match all of our expectations or
needs, but it's good that we have a chance and a place to work out our
common understanding and goals.

> Here is my first question as a member.
> Who's going to decide which CMS will be installed on fedoraproject.org?

It will be decided on this list.  The decision, as all are in Fedora,
comes from the project leaders.  Ideas drift to the top based on merit.
This is why PHP-based solutions are non-starters.  They can never drift
to the top because the merit of features-over-security is not the Fedora
way.

> Please let me know if I misunderstood the plan. Otherwise, I hope there is some sort of
> voting process for us.

As Seth has caustically put it, this is not a democracy.  However, your
voice has weight in the decision.  Please keep thinking of solutions,
given the limitations and parameters that the project leadership puts in
place.

We cannot endlessly debate what is the right solution.  We need to pick
one that best matches our values and capabilities, and push forward with
it.  It is better to take our time adding functionality to a good-enough
but lacking solution, than to get ourselves stuck with a really-great
security nightmare.

The two people who have 1000x more merit than the rest of us when it
comes to the Fedora infrastructure have put their feet down against PHP
and for Python.  AFAIC, the decision is made about language, now we just
need to decide which Python-based solution to use.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide