time to retire f.r.c?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 07:40:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 21:37 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > * The build system that makes the /docs portion work needs to be i)
> > ported over or ii) rewritten in Python.
>
> Where is it right now? Can I get a look at it?

cvs.fedora:/cvs/fedora/web/
                           html --> HTML, head replaced w/ PHP includes
                           include --> included bits
                           config --> tells how to setup a sandbox
                           scripts --> where the magic happens, including:
                                  /docbookhtml2php.py
                                  /dotphp2dothtml.sh

> > * Could we have the PHP building done inside a firewall and content
> > grabbed from another CVS repo by fp.o/docs?  As an interim solution
> > until the includes are Pythonified.
>
> yes.

OK, you can actually just use the existing system and rsync off the
built content.  It is rendered into static pages hourly.  PHP is not
used to deliver dynamic content in real time.

> > * What about _not_ having the Wiki be the front page to fp.o?  Then we
> > could have free reign with design.  It can have a newsfeed section or
> > two to keep things lively, but even a better splash page than what we
> > have until the $PYTHON_CMS arrives from the sky.
>
> hehe. So about a month ago gdk pinged me on irc and said 'we need to
> make the front page of fedoraproject.org the wiki frontpage.' So I said
> 'okay, lemme make an edit'. Then I did that and it was done. So you want
> it put back the other way? :)
>
> As an alternative I could include:
> http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/ParserMarket?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=html.py
> in our wiki which would allow whomever wants to edit the wiki front page
> to make it raw html instead of wiki language.
>
> lemme know what you'd rather have.

Well, I wanted to bring this back up because of the problems we've had
using the Wiki as the front page, in terms of layout.

It was definitely the right move to make it the front page.  It keeps it
within the engine of content delivery, which is not a CMS but is
starting smell like one.  The html.py could also be a good idea, same
idea of all-one back-end with more flexibility.

I'll let Patrick weigh in here, as one person who has been feeling this
pain.

- Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject