moving Mailman

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 21:39:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 15:25 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > I agree with the idea of having our own list server at fedoraproject.org.
> >
> > Redirecting from redhat.com is also good idea but I don't mind creating
> > a new account on a new list server either.
>
> What do we get from having another mailman instance at
> fedoraproject.org? Just the domain on the lists?

i) Distinct domain, better branding, separation of secular and
corporate.

ii) Ability to control lists from within the project, instead of being
beholden to a sponsor's overworked IS team[1]

iii) Creating a public website request methodology to allow people to
form e.g. international, language, or other topic based lists more
easily.

There still needs to be a level of IS-type control from within Fedora,
we don't want to be the SourceForge of any-mailing-list-you-can-dream-
of.

This idea was in response to seeing people wanting to open new mailing
lists but not knowing what to do.  I'll bet that I'm one of about 15% of
Fedora involved Red Hat employees who knows how to request a mailing
list.

Why should I be the gateway to mailing lists?

Anyway, it's an idea that I am still mulling over, I'm not all decided
or nothing.

- Karsten

[1] By this I mean, _every_ IS team is overworked. :)

Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject