Fedora front page

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 19:59:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 13:52 -0500, Diana Fong wrote:

> - "Get Fedora" ... can also do with or without the period.

It was Paul who made the point originally, and I was certain that it was
a specific GNOME documentation style guide.  You may not know, but in
FDP we specify this order for deciding style:

1. Chicago Manual of Style
2. GNOME Documentation Style Guide
3. Fedora Documentation Guide

That is, we default to 1, then 2, and note exceptions in 3.  This is
typical of writing projects, having a canonical reference outside of the
project, and noting project rules and exceptions in a style guide.

So, it may be a CMS recommendation that I can't look up.  It is not,
unfortunately, specified in the GNOME guide ... but, if you look at the
ToC for that guide, you won't see a title or heading with a period in
it:

http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/index.html

We will be sure to include this rule in the next version of the Fedora
Documentation Guide.  For now, I'll just ask all to remember that we
don't put periods in titles.  FWIW, Mozilla didn't either with "Get
Firefox".

- Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject