Wiki page structure [RFC]

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sun Dec 10 17:14:29 UTC 2006

O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
> I just created a common section to cover how a Wiki page should be
> structured:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing#Structure_of_a_Wiki_Page
>
> We already follow this for the most part in most locations, often through
> rigorous editing by ya'll.

Karsten, good work! I was thinking on doing that myself now that the new CSS is
landing, which pushes proper structure by rendering it in a usable way.

I suggest a small change: to follow Wikipedia's structure to put the
introduction right below the `= h1 =` and *after* that the TOC. Like this:

> = Title of page =
>
> This is a description of the page. It should say what the page is about (it's
> purpose) and be about 1-3 paragraphs long. Something like an introduction.
>
> An example: The Fedora Project wiki has a very low barrier to entry for
> editors. However, there can be a small learning curve when beginning to use
> wiki, and we have a number of guidelines that all editors should follow. This
> page provides those guidelines and a few tips to help you get going.
>
> [[TableOfContents]]
>
> == First section ==
>
> Blah.

Futhermore, I was hoping to give the authors the opportunity to put an image if
the want (eg the Ambassadors badge etc), right behind the page title, floated to
the right. Ideally, this should image be less than 250-300px wide, to make sure
the most important text of the page (the first paragraph) is rendered OK.

I've created a page that follows the above. Best viewed with the new CSS. ;-)

  http://webtest.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/DimitrisGlezos/Sandbox

Some notes:

  1. The "you are here" should be handled by the wiki engine and not the author
of the page.

  2. We could think about disabling very deep contents on the TOC (ie make it
include only up to level-3 headings so that it is short and sweet.

> I didn't see this written up elsewhere, and figured it belonged on that
> canonical page.  These are rules for _all_ pages.  FDP has additional rules,
> under DocsProject/WritingUsingTheWiki.
>
> Here is stuff I didn't put there but we should consider:
>
> * Page owner(s)

+1.

-d

* Workflow position (where appropriate):

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/