Topic Names in Wiki Translations

Hugo Cisneiros hugo at devin.com.br
Thu Feb 16 11:14:17 UTC 2006

Patrick Barnes wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:56, Hugo Cisneiros wrote:
>
>>But since I began to translate, I had to begin changing Wiki links
>>within the pages a lot, and as the translations grow, this becomes very
>>difficult to mantain without errors.
>
> The use of translated page names is optional.  If you wish to mirror the names
> from the English version, you may do so.  If a translator wishes to put forth
> the effort to translate page names, they are welcome to do so.  It isn't hard
> to rename a page, but updating the links can take some effort.

I think that translating topic names is A Good Thing, because the page
title is going to be translated too. This is better for users to see the
page's subject on the title, bookmark it, etc.

>>What is the utility of the "LanguageDict" page right now? I thought that
>>wiki could translate the links automactically, but I don't know how.
>>What's the solution for this? Using the "GetVal" command (as in the
>>FedoraMain page), changing all the links within the wiki translated
>>pages, or using the english name? (or something else?)
>
> The wiki is only capable of automatically translating the names of built-in
> pages.  Pages that are added with unique names cannot be automatically
> translated.  This must be done manually or not at all.
>
> The GetVal macro is only used for pulling in definitions, not translations.

So what's the utility of doing the proccess in LanguageDict?

For example:

  FedoraMain::pt_BR/FedoraPrincipal
  Overview::pt_BR/VisaoGeral

And another idea: Is it difficult for MoinMoin to translate the links
automatically based on some WikiPage like LanguageDict and the lang var
in each wiki-page?

So GetVal (or other macro based on this) will function as a selector:
when a page's lang variable is pt_BR, and you use
GetLangVal("Overview"), it will return pt_BR/Overview. If the lang
variable is in fr_FR, it will return the French page (fr_FR/Overview),
if the variable don't exist, it will return the default "Overview").

A good solution, or another difficult and bad idea? :)

--
[]'s
Eitch

http://www.devin.com.br/eitch/
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds