Topic Names in Wiki Translations

Hugo Cisneiros hugo at devin.com.br
Thu Feb 16 11:22:36 UTC 2006

Patrick Barnes wrote:
> Long-term, it would be nice to make translations more accessible.
> Auto-detection of existing translations to provide links only when a
> translation is available would be nice.  Right now, wiki translation is still
> at an early stage, so we wouldn't gain much out of it at this point, and I
> don't know that the MoinMoin hacking to make this happen would be simple.

Many users doesn't even know that there are wiki translations to be
done. I only knew because I asked in IRC and quaid returned me the
Language wiki page. Maybe implementing this will grow the volunteers
willing to translate the pages. It's motivating.

I know that this is extra-work and doesn't have too much importance for
some, but I think it's important. So to save you work, I'll try to
search for some solution and present here in the list if I find one. I
don't like to only talk, I like action too :)

> We do have one nice advantage: As long as the translations are done properly,
> MoinMoin will detect the language setting of a browser and attempt to load
> the translated page automatically.  For example, if you set your browser to
> French and visit FedoraMain, you'll be forwarded to fr_FR/FedoraPrincipal,
> with all of the built-in links in French, too.  My hope is that this feature
> will make links to translations less critical.

Good! I didn't know this! I'll try right now :)

> We'll have to revisit the idea again down the road.

I'll, for sure. :-)

--
[]'s
Eitch

http://www.devin.com.br/eitch/
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds