Topic Names in Wiki Translations

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Feb 16 19:46:08 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 04:49, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 16.02.2006, 04:17 -0600 schrieb Patrick Barnes:
> > Long-term, it would be nice to make translations more accessible.
> > Auto-detection of existing translations to provide links only when a
> > translation is available would be nice.
>
> Well, I don't know much about this stuff -- but I think that
> auto-detection for translations is probably going to get messy when the
> translated pages start to use other (e.g. translated) page names.  Or am
> I wrong here?

Here, I specifically refer to adding links to the pages to translations that
exist, and not to those that do not.  This would, of course, rely upon the
LanguageDict pages being maintained properly to work with translated page
names.  There shouldn't be any messiness in that.

> > [...]
> > We do have one nice advantage: As long as the translations are done
> > properly, MoinMoin will detect the language setting of a browser and
> > attempt to load the translated page automatically. [...]
>
> /me hopes that this redirection only works on the front-page -- but
> that's the case atm afaics. Good. :-))

This is dependent upon a number of factors, but is handled very intelligently
by the wiki, so we hopefully won't see any issues where people are redirected
when they don't wish to be.  The basics of this capability are discussed at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HelpOnLanguages

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com