Topic Names in Wiki Translations

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Feb 16 19:59:04 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 05:14, Hugo Cisneiros wrote:

> I think that translating topic names is A Good Thing, because the page
> title is going to be translated too. This is better for users to see the
> page's subject on the title, bookmark it, etc.

This is very much a two-sided issue, and I won't mandate one way or the other.
I'll leave it up to translators to decide what they think is the better way
in their particular case.  As Yoshihiro Totaka pointed out, Asian-language
translations of page names results in long and meaningless URLs, and so are
less useful for those languages.  The same is true of other non-Latin
alphabets.  For Latin alphabets, translated pages names can be nice for
end-users, but do increase the workload for maintaining translations.

> So what's the utility of doing the proccess in LanguageDict?
>
> For example:
>
>   FedoraMain::pt_BR/FedoraPrincipal
>   Overview::pt_BR/VisaoGeral

This is used for the automatic redirection when one of these pages is directly
requested at its English location in a browser that is set to another
language.  This feature still has a few flaws, and we should see more
reliable function from it after the wiki is upgraded.

> And another idea: Is it difficult for MoinMoin to translate the links
> automatically based on some WikiPage like LanguageDict and the lang var
> in each wiki-page?
>
> So GetVal (or other macro based on this) will function as a selector:
> when a page's lang variable is pt_BR, and you use
> GetLangVal("Overview"), it will return pt_BR/Overview. If the lang
> variable is in fr_FR, it will return the French page (fr_FR/Overview),
> if the variable don't exist, it will return the default "Overview").
>
> A good solution, or another difficult and bad idea? :)

The idea is nice, at least.  The GetVal macro cannot be used for this, as it
cannot be used to render link targets.  Someone could write up a macro that
does this as a plugin for the wiki.  The exact behavior would require some
review, and this might take a little more effort than you might think, due to
the complexities in wiki linking.  If someone were to tackle this, I'd stand
behind it and make sure it made it into the wiki when it's ready.  ;-)

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/