release-notes-ISO word not needed in URL -- use short, clean URLs

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Fri Jul 21 18:51:52 UTC 2006

O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
> On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 00:14 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Just noticed that the english release notes page on the static website
>> has the following URL:
>>
>>    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/release-notes-ISO/
>>
>> The last "directory" contains a word already in the URL (release-notes)
>> and another word (ISO) that gives no useful information to the user. A
>> better URL would be:
>>
>>    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/
>
> Except there is a difference.
>
> release-notes/fc5/ == an index.html that has links to:
>   * The as-shipped ISO notes with all translations
>   * The Web-only relnotes with all translations
>
> So, the ISO does convey some meaning.

Aha, I see. Then maybe we should choose a more meaningful word, because
"ISO" and "errata" are probably ambiguous for many people (even for
native-english-speaking ones). Some suggestions follow.

A clear, hierarchical one:

  1. release-notes/fc5/
  2. release-notes/fc5/latest/en/
  3. release-notes/fc5/shipped/en/

Make "latest" the default document and keep the ISO one for historical
purposes (archived):

  1. release-notes/fc5/
  2. release-notes/fc5/en/
  3. release-notes/fc5/shipped/en/

Alternative words for "latest": current, updated, up2date
Alternative words for "shipped": original, iso

The typically and conceptually correct structure is the first one. I
prefer "shipped" from it's above alternatives.

I suggest we should take a close look at the structure of the URLs of
the new website, *before* launching it. IMO, permanent, consistent URLs
are an important issue for any website seeking high quality and usability.

-dim

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/